IFYI is a unique experience in youth empowerment, leadership development, interfaith education, and peacemaker training. Participants of diverse religious backgrounds come together for a joyful and intensive overnight immersion program that includes community building, workshops, service and social action experiences, field trips, theological dialogue, and much more!
IFYI 2014 will take place July 31 - August 7 at Brandeis University focused on the theme "Repairing Our Broken World." Join us! Youth ages 15-18 and college students are welcome to apply.
Wondering if IFYI is for you? The best way to describe the experience is through the words our 2013 participants used to describe their time at IFYI:
- "I learned that love can happen in 8 days and that it can happen across all barriers."
- "IFYI is about the courage to discuss your beliefs and the strength to peacefully disagree."
- "I learned that I should not be afraid to be myself which is the first step to walking the way of truth and love."
- "I have learnt how different people and religions can reunite."
- "IFYI is a place where you become family with people so different from you."
- "IFYI fills my spiritual cup and motivated me to make positive change."
- "I have learned how better to embrace others as well as myself because of the open community surrounding me."
- “Upon leaving IFYI, I had gained a much deeper understanding of my own faith and spirituality, as well as more knowledge concerning the faith traditions of those around me."
IFYI has five Core Values: Building Bridges, Engaging Faith, Training Leaders, Making Peace, and Serving Others. Participants explore and embrace their own leadership and peacemaking styles, becoming agents of positive social transformation in their schools, communities, and congregations.
This program offers a dynamic mix of community building, fun social activities, workshops, service experiences, and learning trips which engage urban and suburban realities. Youth express their visions of faith, justice, and peace through visual art, poetry/spoken word, theological reflection, dance, drama, and film.
All are welcome at IFYI! Youth and staff come from diverse religious backgrounds and grow more deeply in their own religious traditions through dialogue and interaction with others. Leadership (currently!) comes from the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Unitarian Universalist, and Interfaith faith traditions. Men and women are housed in separate staffed areas of the school, or if desired may commute from home. All religious and dietary needs will be accommodated.
Come join us for this eight-day immersion experience, followed by ongoing opportunities during the academic year for mentoring, retreats, and support for spiritual, academic, and professional pursuits.
This transformative week for youth leaders from Greater Boston communities and beyond will culminate in a Closing "Celebration", at 7pm at Brandeis University on Thursday evening August 7th. Bring your congregation and come see what our young people have to say! Click here for a flyer.
No one should EVER not apply or come to IFYI because they cannot afford it. IFYI applies for grants specifically in order to be able to provide scholarships for high school participants who cannot afford the full fee. Therefore, first ask if this program is right for you, and if it excites you! If so, then we'll make it happen, regardless of how much you (or any potential participant) can pay. So, COME FIRST, then we'll work out how much you can afford on the sliding scale up to $750.
For more information about IFYI contact Matt Carriker at IFYI@coopmet.org or 617-244-3650.